Thursday, February 3, 2011

A Month of Saving Update

We made our second batch of laundry detergent yesterday and the Ivory soap dissolves much better. We, of course, had nothing to compare the first batch to, but the second batch is much smoother. Again, we did not add any kind of essential oil mainly because I do not have any. The Ivory soap is also much easier to grate. The funny thing is, right before we started using the homemade detergent we actually had just purchased detergent from the store and we have't used it. I guess we'll keep it on hand just in case we run out!!! I did a little more accurate figuring on the detergent and with a coupon for the Ivory, I figure the entire 3 gallons of detergent cost between 80-90 cents. We probably had enough left to finish out the month, but we went ahead and made the next batch. We also have been putting two 1/2 cups of detergent in each load, more out of habit than necessity. We do BIG loads of laundry at our house.

We are getting ready to make some homemade applesauce. I wish I had my Grandma Pease's recipe. I think she added marshmallows to it and was it ever YUMMY!!! Matthew keeps asking for applesauce and with the blizzard, we haven't left the house since Tuesday, so I am going to try making it on my own! We will see how it goes!

We are also almost out of dishwasher detergent here, so we might try the recipe I read where you extend powder detergent by adding 1/2 as much baking soda. I will let you know how that goes.

Hope you're enjoying the snow! We are enjoying time inside mostly with brief excursions out to play! We have fantastic neighbors who love to play with our kids (at least they seem to be excited when we come out). They are so great with them and Matthew and Ella love playing together! We are so grateful for Samina and Hammad! Enjoy your day!

0 comments: