Friday, February 11, 2011

Deals of the week!!

So, last Saturday we started our biannual tradition of stocking the kids' closets for next year. We have been doing this twice a year since Matthew was born. We buy the clothes on clearance at the end of a season for the next season and save tons of money. We have typically been able to spend around $150-$200 total out of pocket and have clothes for both kids for the entire season. I realize I could spend most of the summer attending garage sales and maybe save a little money, but I have found that when I find a good sale, I typically can do just as well in one stop. My parents give the kids gift cards for their birthdays and Christmas for clothes, so we typically save those for this purpose and wait for a coupon before we hit the stores. Here is what we were able to accomplish this week:

1. We had $140 in gift cards to Kohl's. We also had a 15% off coupon and for every $50 spent we received $10 Kohl's cash. So, last Saturday morning in the mini blizzard we headed out to shop. We purchased 14 shirts, 1 outfit, and 8 pairs of pants for Ella and 8 shirts, 1 sweatshirt, and 4 pairs of pants for Matthew. We also purchased 2 puzzles for the little helpers we had with us and a frame for my dad's birthday gift. Our total bill was $157.23. After our gift cards were applied, we paid $17.23. We also received $20 in Kohl's cash since our total was $140+ before tax. Tonight, we returned to Kohl's and spent our $20 in Kohl's cash by purchasing 1 shirt and 1 sweater for Matthew and 1 pair of pants for Ella. We ended up paying $4.55 after the Kohl's cash was applied.

2. I had earned $30 in rewards from Gap over Christmas. Yesterday, I ordered 2 shirts, 1 sweatshirt, and 1 pair of jeans for Matthew and 1 dress and 4 pairs of shoes for Ella. I ended up spending around $20 after the rewards and received free shipping!!!

So, we have quite a good start on clothing for Matthew and Ella for next winter for around $40. I realize we really spent more than that, but by taking advantage of clearance merchandise, coupons, gift cards, and rewards, we have been able to put our money to the best possible use!

2 comments:

Q. August said...

I am a new follower. Thanks so much for your month of savings blogs. I am so inspired and charged. After reading your blog I decided to try making on of the most expensive meals I normally eat at a resturaunt...chicken picatta. It was delicious!!! Such an inspiration. You can see the pix on my family blog. Please follow one or any of the blogs I write.

Marcia Davis said...

That is a fabulous story about creativity and frugality! Good for you.