Sunday, January 23, 2011

A Month of Saving Day 15

It's hard to believe we are halfway through the month of saving already! Besides some people thinking we are Amish and a few skeptics, we have been enjoying the challenge! Today, as I was thinking about saving money, I started to think of all the reasons why we don't save money. One of the main reasons I think we have done a somewhat poor job at this until recently is a sense of entitlement. No, nothing I am sure any of the rest of you deal with, but for me, I often catch myself saying things like:

"I work part-time, so therefore I can afford to go through the drive thru instead of cooking at home."
"My kids have been on my last nerve today, so I should go buy myself something nice to make up for it."
"My husband had to work late this week, so I can justify spending extra money at the mall since he will be making more."
"My favorite store is having a sale, so I should spend more and get more."

You get the point.

I often catch myself making excuses like this for what I buy. Recently, I have been asking myself, "Do we really need it?" While it may be a good price, or I might have had a rough day at work, or we might have a little leftover at the end of the month, do WE really need it? Do we REALLY need it? Do we really NEED it? Do we really need IT? This simple question has changed the way I do things over the last couple weeks! While I am sure we will still be splurging from time to time, we are trying to put an end to the entitlement mentality. If saving money really isn't your issue, maybe the entitlement idea flows over into another area of your life.... whatever it is... take a minute to think, "Do I REALLY NEED IT?

Have a great week!

0 comments: